Friday, July 8, 2011

An interesting view

So I picked up a new book today called "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren.


 I will admit that I was lured by the fact that it has a corgi on the cover.  However, I had somewhat recently finished reading a book called "The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection Between Humans and Dogs"
which I had won from "Life With Dogs" and had found I liked.  At one point in my life and for many years I was debating on doing something with biology and doing something with art since they both interested me to about the same degree.  I chose art, which at points I regret, but then realized that just biology probably would have done about the same, if maybe a bit less, for me. But I digress...

So I have gotten about 40 pages into How Dogs Think and it has been discussing how they view the world.  I find it rather interesting that due to what kinds of cones they have in their eyes, they really don't see the color red. Red comes up as black/grey.  So I was looking through the throngs of images in my corgi Google Reader feed and found this image:
from http://sugarhut.tumblr.com/post/7405698572/zomg-a-corgi-at-the-end-of-a-rainbow-and-on-a .  I wanted to reblog it as she prefers people to do, but since she is on tumbler and I am not, I really couldn't. Sugarhut, if you want me to remove this, I will.  Back to the subject at hand, seeing as it is a rainbow corgi picture, I couldn't help but to try to somewhat replicate what a dog sees.  This is what I came up with:
You will also note that  I shifted the image out of focus.  Most dogs have about 20/75 visual acuity so even this might not be blurry enough.  Most dogs see you best if you're moving actually, since they evolved to hunt prey and their eyes are really only used to confirm what their nose and ears have already told them.

So if you want to take anything from this post, buy your dogs blue and white balls for fetch in the grass and yellow Frisbees with blue or white circles on top for fetch, because they will see it better.  Neon orange is  kind of grey.

~Lumie

No comments:

Post a Comment