Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Butterbeer Cupcakes


Don't worry, they're not yellow.  I just had a yellow light above them and didn't correct it.
Quoted from my friend Marianya's website:
"Once upon a time, I really wanted to try my hand at cupcake baking. I came across this new fangled idea when I was surfing Mugglenet.com and came across a recipe for Butterbeer Cupcakes by the Collegiate Baker. When reading up on what the Collegiate Baker did I realized that she actually adapted her recipe from that of another blog from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.
When perusing the recipe I realized that I am not exactly a fan of butterscotch to begin with, but Butterbeer is a popular beverage that is described by JK Rowling as
a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch
Ok, so now I’m tempted… I am really really tempted, especially since the homemade frosting became a major draw for me.
INGREDIENTS
For the Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup cream soda
3 eggs
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup melted butterscotch chips
For the FROSTING:
1 stick of butter, softened
3 tablespoons of cream soda
3 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of butterscotch ice cream topping
butterscotch chips for topping
DIRECTIONS:
Step 1: (Starting with the cake portion): Mix the yellow cake mix, cream soda, eggs, melted butter, and melted butterscotch chips (in that order) in a medium/large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Mix on medium speed for two minutes.
Step 3: Follow the temperature and time directions as instructed on the yellow cake mix box.
Step 4: (Now for the frosting): cream the butter and cream soda by mixing on medium speed for approximately two minutes.
Step 5: Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time for easy mixing.
Step 6: Then mix in butterscotch topping.
Step 7: When cupcakes are cooled, cover each with frosting and top with butterscotch chips."
So I made it myself directly following the recipe.  She altered hers a bit, but since mine doesn't deviate, this is where I cut her post off.  Hope ya don't mind.  (To read how she altered it and how it went for her, go here: Dancing through the Universe )

So this is the true to color end result.  Don't worry, no feathers ended  up in the recipe.

Following the recipe directly using one standard cake box mix, it made 21 cupcakes for me, with plenty of frosting to cover them all.  It might be a tiny too little if you manage 24 cupcakes.  The cupcakes are some of the lightest and fluffiest cupcakes that I have ever had.  One of mine even turned onto the side in the oven. It was undamaged but quite funny to me.  The cupcakes are so good that you can honestly eat them without the frosting.  They're good with them, but the average cupcake is nothing without its frosting.

I would highly recommend this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I want those for breakfast. No such luck though. Have a great day today and enjoy the Olympics.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete